Friday, March 28, 2014

Day Three - Photo Tour of San Carlos



I had time today to walk around San Carlos and try and capture some of the local flavor for you. 

This is the entrance to the Fort that overlooks San Carlos.  This ancient fortress was constructed in the 1666 by the Spanish to defend their trade route from pirates. The position was also used to support and defend nearby El Castillo, which was frequently assaulted by British and Dutch pirates. In 1670, English pirates captured the San Carlos structure. The fort then abandoned for over half a century, although it has at times been used as a prison and a police station. La Fortaleza was recently renovated and now includes a museum, a library and a cultural center. Today, the cement walls that once saw so many battles, lead to an outdoor area with plaques of the history of the region. The elevated position provides a pleasant view of the river.  (I copied all that)


While I was walking around the Fort - a guard opened up a door that used to house a library, but was now a storage closet.  He allowed me to rummage around and I found these 5 Cannon Balls that he said had been dug up from the property.   I tried to by one - not having a clue how I would get it home - but he said no.   However, I did get him to take a photo of me with them.   It was pretty cool!



I took these photos to show how San Carlos is located at both the mouth of the San Juan River and on the edge of Lake Cocibolca.






These cannons were placed here to protect the Spanish interests against pirates.   I wonder if those cannon balls I found were related to these cannons?




I have no idea what the story of this is.   Looks like an woman? standing on the back of a turtle?  I'll ask around to find out - but it wasn't there 2 years ago when I was here previously.


Yes ladies - this is the washateria!  I have no idea what they would use to starch my dress shirts!


Here I am on the Malacone eating my favorite Nicaraguan Meal.   Jalapeno de la Pollo.   I have had it in several restaurants -  each put their own spin on the plate.   This one today had thinly sliced bananas fresh out of the deep fryer.  They were great!

Cost of this meal?  A little over $3.00 - with tip!